Original Tuft & Needle Pillow Review
Checking out the Original Tuft & Needle Pillow? Join us as we take a closer look at the pillow’s construction, price, special features, and pros/cons to see if it’s worth the hype.
Jan 4th, 2021 •
Have you ever slept on a pillow that left you with neck pain so bad you felt like you had aged decades? Yeah…it’s pretty rough. So when we heard that Tuft & Needle decided to apply their game-changing Adaptive Foam to a pillow format, we were excited to give it a closer look.
This pillow was designed and manufactured in the USA, and T&N does their absolute best to pass along all savings to their customers. So without further ado, let’s check out the Original Tuft & Needle Foam Pillow.
Inside the Tuft & Needle Pillow
The Original Tuft & Needle Pillow construction is pretty simple: a single piece of plush T&N Adaptive Foam wrapped in a removable polyblend cover (polyester, Tencel, and micro-polyamide, which is a synthetic fiber).
The cover is hypoallergenic, extra soft, and intentionally smooth to make it easy to take on and off. It’s also breathable, so you can get the full benefit of the cooling technology in the foam.
The core of the pillow is cut from the same high quality Adaptive Foam used in the top layer of all Tuft & Needle mattresses. The single foam structure does a great job of cradling your head in place, so it doesn’t roll to one side or another.
T&N opted for the single cut instead of shredded or molded foam because they feel it gives your head and neck the best support. The only downside is that you can’t fold the pillow in half, although this pillow is pretty lofty, so you shouldn’t need to fold it.
T&N ventilates the foam to allow heat to flow through the bulk of the pillow. Other memory foam pillows have a tendency to trap heat, but the T&N pillow does a pretty good job of circulating warm air away from your head.
Plus, the foam is infused with graphite and gel beads. Graphite is naturally heat-wicking. It draws warmth away from your body and disperses it through the channels in the foam. The gel beads are cool in a way that’s similar to latex. Gel absorbs heat and neutralizes it, so as long as your room isn’t too hot, your pillow shouldn’t get too hot.
The gel beads stack up in the foam when compressed, which creates even more support under the weight of your head.
Related: Best Cooling Pillows
The Best Parts
We rounded up our favorite features of this pillow. Here’s our highlight reel:
- Soft AND Supportive: Generally, pillows are one or the other. For example, down is notoriously soft and lightweight, whereas memory foam is dense and firm. T&N always develops products designed for all sleep positions, which is how their pillow can both cushion and support your head and neck.
- Squishy AND Responsive: This feature goes hand-in-hand with the pillow being both soft and supportive. When you press into the pillow, it has a remarkable amount of give, but when you lift your hand, the foam snaps back into place. That means you can expect the pillow to move with you, while always contouring around your head and neck.
- Cooling: We hear a lot of consumers shying away from foam because they sleep hot. T&N goes above and beyond to keep their foam pillow cool. How? A cover high in breathability, a ventilated foam structure, heat-absorbing graphite, and cooling gel beads. T&N actually claims that it always feels like you’re on the cold side of their pillow.
Best For/Not Best For
The T&N Foam Pillow is a great choice for…
- Back sleepers and side sleepers who have smaller frames
- Those with neck pain or upper back pain
- Hot sleepers
- Combo sleepers who move around a lot
- Those who don’t want a pillow that requires constant fluffing
This pillow is not an ideal choice for…
Next we’ll dive into pillow specs and buyer details, like pricing, shipping, return policy, and warranty.
Sizes and Prices
Tuft & Needle offers their Original Foam Pillow in Standard size and King size:
- The Standard size costs $75 and measures 25″ x 16″ x 5″.
- The King size costs $90 and measures 34″ x 16″ x 5″.
T&N also offers financing through Affirm for their pillows.
Shipping and Returns
Tuft & Needle customers get free shipping and 1-5 day delivery. If you live in Alaska or Hawaii, there may be additional shipping fees. If you have Prime and buy your pillow on Amazon, you’ll be eligible for free Prime shipping.
T&N Returns & Exchanges
You also get free returns on your pillow purchase during the 100-night trial period. If you’d like to return your pillow, email email@example.com, and they’ll send you a FedEx return label. After you drop off your pillow package at FedEx, you’ll see a refund on your original form of payment within 5-10 business days.
If you want to exchange your T&N pillow for a different size or model, you’ll only need to pay the difference between the two products. The T&N team will walk you through the exchange process when you call 877-842-2586. They’ll likely ask you to donate your old pillow and show proof of donation or disposal.
If you buy your pillow on Amazon, you’ll need to follow Amazon’s return policy. You should be able to get a full refund as long as you initiate the return during the sleep trial. To begin a return through Amazon, call 888-280-4331.
Trial and Warranty
T&N pillow customers get a 100-night sleep trial. In our experience, that’s more than enough time to figure out if you want to commit. Amazon customers get a 30-night trial period. If you decide within 30 days that the T&N pillow is not a good fit, you can ship it back and get a full refund.
The Original T&N Foam Pillow is protected by a 3-year limited warranty. T&N will repair or replace your pillow if the foam cracks/splits or the cover fabric/stitching is damaged. You have to be the original owner of the pillow and have purchased directly from T&N or an authorized dealer for the warranty to apply. You can initiate a claim by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 877-842-2586.
- “These pillows are tall and firm, and I could see that might be an issue for petite folks, but we are both big people and they are great for us. As an unexpected, amazing bonus, my husband’s snoring has almost completely disappeared!!! I have fibromyalgia, and I used to have a whole set of pillows (literally 6) that I would fuss with endlessly trying to get my arm comfortable. No more. 4 stars instead of 5 because I still have to flip it once or twice a night for coolness.” – Riotgrrl2x
- “The product itself was too soft for what my husband was wanting. But that was more of his personal preference than an issue with the pillow itself. Amazing customer service when needing to return the product.” – Shannon W.
- “This is the sixth pillow I have gotten from you all in the last two to three years because they’re so great! I love the firm feel, and yet they give without ever going flat or needing to be fluffed up. I find they’re excellent for all different sleeping positions.” – WLWW
Pros and Cons
|Adaptive Foam that cushions without losing its shape||A higher price point than the average pillow|
|Heat-wicking graphite and gel infused into the foam||Might have slight off-gassing odor right after unboxing|
|An ideal loft level for back sleepers and side sleepers||The pillow is not fully machine washable (only the pillow case)|
How do I clean my Tuft & Needle Foam Pillow?
You can wash the pillow cover in a washing machine with cold water and other light colors. Make sure you don’t add bleach to the load. Don’t put it in the dryer; instead, let it hang dry. If the foam core gets soiled, spot clean it with warm water, and let it dry completely before using it again.
Does the Tuft & Needle Foam Pillow have an off gassing sent?
You may notice a mild warehouse sent when you first remove your pillow from the shipping package, but it should be gone after a few hours. The scent is non-toxic, and the foam is certified for low emissions, good air quality, and no toxic chemicals by GREENGUARD Gold, CertiPUR-US, and Oeko-Tex.
Where is the Tuft & Needle foam pillow made?
It’s made in the USA from materials also sourced in the US. For example, the foam is poured and cut at one of T&N’s US factories, the fabric comes from a 90-year old textile mill in the Carolinas, and the sewing and finishing happens in southern California.
Does this pillow need a pillow case?
Technically no, but a pillow case is recommended to prolong the lifespan of the pillow cover. Make sure the pillow case you use is lightweight and breathable, so you get the full cooling benefits of the pillow.
The Bottom Line
This pillow is designed to work for all sleeping positions, and for the most part, it delivers. If you’re a stomach sleeper who likes an extra flat pillow, keeping shopping. Otherwise, you’ll get substantial pressure relief and contouring for your head and neck. It sleeps noticeably cool for a solid foam pillow. Plus, with a 100-night trial period and financing options, it’s worth your time and money.
Mattress Accessories & Bedding
Best Cooling Pillows
Learn how cooling pillows, designed to refresh and release heat, can improve your sleeping experience.
Tuft & Needle Mattress Warranty
We spent hours combing through the Tuft & Needle mattress warranty to bring you this concise, thorough breakdown of all the warranty specs you need to know.
Tuft & Needle Return Policy
Need a reliable break down of Tuft & Needle's return policy? Look no further. We cover the mattress trial period, how to initiate a return, and fine print FAQs.