Tuft & Needle vs Tempur-Pedic Mattress Comparison
Shopping for a new mattress? Learn if a Tempur-Pedic or Tuft & Needle mattress is right for you.
Jul 14th, 2021 •
Tempur-Pedic and Tuft & Needle are two of the most popular mattress brands around. While they each craft all-foam and foam hybrid mattresses, their beds have vastly different feels and price points. Tempur-Pedic was one of the first companies to produce memory foam mattresses, and the brand is the epitome of luxury. On the other hand, T&N sells some of the highest-quality budget mattresses around.
In this review, we’re going to compare the most popular Tempur-Pedic mattresses with the T&N beds. By the end, you’ll know which company, and which mattress, is the best fit for you.
Tuft & Needle vs Tempur-Pedic Overview
Tuft & Needle
|Best For||Budget Shoppers
Fans of Memory Foam
|Special Features||Responsive Foam Feel
High-Quality at a Low Cost
Supports Healthy Alignment
Proprietary Memory Foam
Unparalleled Pressure Relief
- Both offer all-foam and hybrid mattresses.
- Both work for every body shape and sleeping position.
- Both relieve pain at pressure points like the hips and shoulders.
- Tempur-Pedic is a luxury mattress brand while Tuft & Needle is a budget brand.
- Tuft & Needle is more responsive, better for combination sleepers.
- Tempur-Pedic crafts memory foam mattresses while T&N makes polyfoam beds.
- Tuft & Needle is a bed-in–a-box company while most Tempur-Pedic mattresses are purchased at brick-and-mortar retail locations.
Tuft & Needle vs Tempur-Adapt
Tuft & Needle Mattress Review Highlights
- The T&N Original mattress has a medium-firm feel that works well for side, back, and stomach sleepers.
- The top layer of T&N Adaptive foam has a responsive feel, meaning it’s easy to move around on. If you toss and turn at night, this mattress can help you sleep comfortably.
- The T&N mattress earned high scores in our tests for spine alignment and pressure relief. As such, it’s an excellent bed for those with aches and pains, whether that be back pain, joint pain, or neck pain.
- The entry-level T&N bed is one of the highest scoring budget mattresses that we’ve tested. It’s a good all-around mattress at an affordable price point.
Tempur-Adapt Mattress Review
- The Tempur-Adapt has the classic memory foam mattress feel. Consider the Adapt if you’re looking for the deep hugging sensation that memory foam provides.
- The Adapt comes in an all-foam or hybrid option. Opt for the original if you’re seeking the ultimate in pressure relief or the hybrid for added ease-of-movement and breathability.
- The Adapt is a medium-firm mattress, the ideal firmness level for the average sleeper. It is a good fit for side, stomach, and back sleepers.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Tempur-Adapt is a 3-layer memory foam mattress. With generous comfort and transition layers, as well as optional innerspring coils, the Adapt works well for sleepers of all body sizes. It has a medium-firm feel, the mattress firmness preferred by the average sleeper.
The flagship Tuft & Needle mattress also has a medium-firm feel that works for all sleep positions. However, it’s construction and feel are quite different from the Tempur-Adapt.
The T&N is made from polyfoam rather than memory foam. The biggest difference that you’ll notice is that the T&N delivers a feel that falls between sleeping “on” and “in” a mattress, while the Adapt deeply hugs the body’s curves. The result is that the T&N is easier to move around on, while the Adapt offers slightly superior pressure relief.
The top layer of T&N polyfoam has a more immediate plush feel, better for lightweight side sleepers. The slow response memory foam found in the Adapt feels almost firm at first, slowly giving way for a deep cradling feel. This sensation is typically preferred by those who weigh more than 130 pounds, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers.
Another difference is that the Adapt is more supportive than the Tuft & Needle. Not only is the Adapt 1” thicker, but the hybrid option provides the support needed by plus-size sleepers. The T&N works best for sleepers who weigh under 230 pounds.
The Tempur-Adapt is a luxury mattress that costs roughly four times that of the Tuft & Needle mattress. For price-conscious consumers, T&N may be the way to go.
|Tuft & Needle||Tempur-Adapt|
|Split Cal King||N/A||
Tuft & Needle Mint vs Tempur-LUXEbreeze
Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress Review Highlights
- The Mint mattress is a step up from the T&N Original mattress, delivering exceptional comfort and quality at a competitive price.
- The medium firmness level and all-foam construction offers the plush feel that side sleepers love.
- The Mint mattress utilizes cooling gel, heat-wicking graphite, and a breathable knit cover, making it one of the best cooling mattresses for hot sleepers
- The Mint earned a nearly perfect score in our spine alignment evaluation, and it’s one of the best mattresses for back pain.
Tempur-LUXEbreeze Mattress Review Highlights
- The LUXEbreeze is the most luxurious Tempur-Pedic mattress. With generous comfort and transition layers, this is one of the best mattresses for sleepers with aches and pains as well as elderly folks.
- The LUXEbreeze comes in a soft and firm option, making it perfect for sleepers who like memory foam but prefer something softer or firmer than the average foam bed.
- The LUXEbreeze is Tempur’s coolest mattress. It sleeps 8 degrees cooler than other memory foam mattresses, so hot sleepers can snooze peacefully.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Tuft & Needle Mint mattress is a 3-layer foam mattress. Its medium feel rates a 5 on the 1-10 firmness scale. This firmness level combined with a soft comfort layer brings the pressure relief that side sleepers desire.
The LUXEbreeze is a memory foam mattress that comes in a soft or firm feel. As such, it’s better than the Mint for those who prefer an ultra-plush or firm mattress. Its memory foam comfort layer hugs the body, while the responsive polyfoam in the Mint mattress doesn’t provide the same deep contouring feel; the LUXEbreeze brings slightly superior pressure relief, while the Mint is easier to move around on.
Both of these mattresses are thick all-foam beds with generous pressure-relieving foam layers. While they each work well for all body shapes and sizes, the firm LUXEbreeze brings better support for sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds.
Both beds do an incredible job with motion isolation, helping couples sleep together peacefully. However, the LUXEbreeze comes in split king and split California king sizes that nearly eliminate motion transfer from one side of the bed to the next, making them some of the best mattresses for light sleepers who share a bed.
The Tempur LUXEbreeze is the highest-end Tempur mattress, and therefore it’s one of the most expensive memory foam mattresses on the market. The Tuft & Needle Mint costs a fraction of the price of the LUXEbreeze.
|Tuft & Needle Mint||Tempur-LUXEbreeze|
|Split Cal King||N/A||
Tuft & Needle Hybrid vs Tempur-ProAdapt
Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- The Tuft & Needle Hybrid is the only T&N mattress with innerspring coils, so it’s the best T&N bed for hot sleepers and those who need extra support.
- The T&N Hybrid earned a nearly perfect score for pressure relief, which is ideal for side sleepers.
- With responsive T&N Adaptive foam and bouncy innerspring coils, the T&N Hybrid readily responds to movements. Combination sleepers and those who toss and turn tend to enjoy this responsive feel.
Tempur-ProAdapt Mattress Review Highlights
- The ProAdapt is Tempur-Pedic’s most popular mattress. It’s offered in soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm models, suiting every body shape and sleeping position.
- Tempur-APR foam delivers exceptional pressure relief and a plush feel, great for those who need extra cushion.
- The mattress cover is noticeably cool-to-the-touch, and it’s removable and machine washable. This means a consistently fresh and clean surface that promotes restful sleep.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Tuft & Needle Hybrid layers responsive foam and coils for a balanced, medium feel. With 4 layers of foam and 2 layers of coils measuring 12” thick, the T&N Hybrid is supportive enough for sleepers of all sizes.
The Tempur-ProAdapt is a 12” memory foam mattress that comes in soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm options. With greater diversity in firmness, the ProAdapt is better for those who like a soft or firm feel. It’s the most affordable Tempur mattress that utilizes Tempur-APR foam, formulated for unparalleled pressure relief and a deep body cradling sensation.
Both mattresses deliver exceptional pressure relief, but the other attributes differ. The T&N Hybrid has an immediately plush feel that’s countered by responsive coils, while the Tempur mattress yields a distinct memory foam feel. The T&N is easier to move around on, while the Tempur-Pedic has slightly better edge support. They both sleep cool for beds with generous layers of foam.
The T&N queen-size mattress costs about half the price of the Tempur-ProAdapt.
|Tuft & Needle Hybrid||Tempur-ProAdapt|
|Split Cal King||N/A||
Compare Tuft & Needle vs Tempur-Pedic Sizes
Tuft & Needle manufactures the standard mattress sizes, with Tempur-Pedic producing the additional split king and split California king sizes, perfect for couples. Their thicknesses are similar, with the thicker models better for those who weigh more than 230 pounds.
|Tuft & Needle||Tempur-Pedic|
|Thickness||10”, 12”||11”, 12”, 13”|
|Twin||39” x 75”||38” x 74”|
|Twin XL||39” x 80”||38” x 80”|
|Full||54” x 75”||53” x 74”|
|Queen||60” x 80”||60” x 80”|
|King||76” x 80”||76” x 80”|
|Split King||N/A||38” x 80” (x2)|
|California King||72” x 84”||72” x 84”|
|Split California King||N/A||
36” x 84” (x2)
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Both mattress companies offer a sleep trial, allowing you to try any of their mattresses in the comfort of your home. There are, however, important distinctions between the two that may sway you.
The Tuft & Needle 100-night sleep trial is a risk-free trial with free returns. If you decide to return your mattress during this period, you’ll receive a full refund.
The Tempur-Pedic trial is slightly shorter at 90 nights, and returns are not free. Tempur-Pedic charges a $175 shipping fee, and you must wait 30 days before initiating a return. This waiting period ensures that you’ve given both your mattress time to break in and your body time to adjust.
While you do risk losing $175 if you return a Tempur-Pedic mattress, this fee simply offsets the free White Glove Delivery that comes with every new mattress purchase. With White Glove Delivery, a Tempur-Pedic representative delivers your new mattress, sets it up, and removes your old mattress and box spring. While T&N offers free delivery, it does not include new mattress setup or old mattress removal.
Both Tuft & Needle and Tempur-Pedic offer a 10-year limited warranty, the mattress industry standard. In the case of a defect in materials or workmanship, you’re covered for the first 10 years that you own the mattress. For both companies, this covers indentations of greater than ¾”, which is slightly more generous than the standard 1” coverage.
For some shoppers, Tuft & Needle is by far the best company. For others, it’s Tempur-Pedic. The difference comes down to your budget and preferences.
Tempur-Pedic is a luxury brand that sells classic memory foam and memory foam hybrid mattresses. You can expect the deep hugging sensation that memory foam is known for, which delivers amazing pressure relief. With soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm options, Tempur-Pedic mattresses work for every memory foam lover.
Tuft & Needle is known for their affordable all-foam mattresses. These beds are made with T&N Adaptive foam, which is more responsive than memory foam. Combination sleepers and those who don’t like the sinking feel of memory foam are typically better served by T&N mattresses. While their mattresses also work well for every sleep position, they don’t offer soft or firm mattress varieties like Tempur-Pedic does, so those who desire the extremes may prefer Tempur-Pedic
Tempur-Pedic Mattress Reviews
The Tempur-Pedic mattress brand is synonymous with luxury memory foam mattresses that offer years of great sleep. Comb through our reviews and see which is right for you.
Tuft & Needle vs Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress Comparison
Not sure which Tuft & Needle all foam mattress is made for you? Our Tuft & Needle Original vs Tuft & Needle Mint mattress comparison will help you decide.