Twin XL Mattress vs Full Mattress Size Comparison
Mar 26th, 2021 •
In this article, we will put twin XL beds and full mattresses head to head—both of which are typically used by single sleepers. We will address what sleeping space or room size these mattresses fit best in as well as the bed size, mattress dimensions, and much more. All this to help you determine what mattress size is best for you.
A Quick Comparison
|Bedroom Size||8” x 10”||10” x 12”|
|Best for||Taller people who require an extra-long mattress, single sleepers, bunk bed frames, college dorm rooms, shared adult bedrooms||Single adult sleepers, guest bedrooms, rooms where you need extra space, smaller bedrooms where a queen bed will not fit|
Twin XL Bed Pros and Cons
Twin XL beds are quite similar to a standard twin mattress. The main difference comes down to the mattress dimensions. Twin XL beds are extra-long and offer a sleeper five extra inches of space. This bed type is an ideal choice for single sleepers as well as children.
Related: Twin vs Twin XL
Additionally, twin XL beds can also be set up as bunk beds and are great for college dorm rooms, children’s rooms, and other areas that have a limited room size. It is important to know, however, that a twin XL mattress will not fit on a bed frame made for standard mattress sizes since it is a larger mattress overall in length.
- Ideal for a smaller room size. This mattress is great for rooms that are at least 8’ by 10’.
- Twin XL mattresses offer a variety of options including innerspring, memory foam, and other features just like larger mattress choices.
- Perfect for smaller bedrooms such as college dorm rooms.
- A good choice for bunk beds.
- Offers enough personal space for single adults, children, and teenagers.
- Extra-long for tall sleepers.
- It is a larger mattress than a standard twin bed.
- A single bed is not for couples
- It will likely feel a bit cramped to some single adult sleepers.
- The twin XL mattress might not offer enough personal space for a combination sleeper.
Full Size Mattress Pros and Cons
A full size mattress, also known as a double bed, has mattress dimensions of 56” x 75”. These mattresses are usually best for single sleepers with target users being single adults.
This bed offers enough room for a sleeper to truly get comfortable if they are not faced with having a partner sleep beside them. In that instance, it is probably better to opt for a full XL or a queen mattress in order to truly allow enough room for both people to get comfortable.
- Overall, a full bed has more space than a twin XL bed. This means that a sleeper has more room to sprawl out on when lying down.
- Full mattresses are perfect for guest rooms.
- Individuals who are combination sleepers tend to enjoy the mattress dimensions of a full bed.
- Best in a bedroom or room space that is at least 10” by 12”. With a room this size, there will be plenty of space for other furniture and to walk around.
- This popular mattress size is best used by a single adult sleeper or a teenager.
- Full beds come with a variety of options including memory foam.
- If you are very tall, a full mattress does not offer extra length and is not the best mattress choice.
- A full bed size is not recommended for use by couples.
How much bigger is a full than a twin?
A full size mattress is 54” by 75”. When compared to a twin XL bed that has mattress dimensions of 38” by 80”, one will note that a twin XL is five inches longer than a full bed. However, the twin XL size is 16” less in overall width.
The twin XL bed offers more leg room than a full size bed.
Now, it’s also key to compare a full mattress to a standard twin size mattress. A twin bed is 38” wide by 75” long. Therefore, it is the same length as a full mattress and the same width as a twin XL bed.
Will a twin XL mattress fit in a full bed frame?
As the twin XL mattress is five inches longer than a full size bed, you can ultimately use it on a full bed frame. However, take note that the twin XL mattress will hang off the end of the bed frame a bit as it does have extra length.
Do 2 twin XL beds make a California king mattress?
No. The dimensions of a twin XL bed are 38” wide by 80” long. The dimensions of a Cal King mattress are 72” wide by 84” long. If two twin XL mattresses were put next to each other, the total dimensions would be 76” wide by 80” long.
Which Mattress Size Is Best for You?
At the end of the day, every person has a unique and different sleeping style. Both twin XL mattresses and full beds are popular mattress choices for smaller bedrooms, studio apartments, and other spaces that have a living area that is lacking extra space.
Additionally, both mattresses are ideal for single sleepers with the twin XL bed being a better choice in children’s rooms or for teenagers.
Of course, if an individual happens to be taller, then a twin XL mattress might be the better option—and this mattress is also a top pick for college dorm bunk beds. At the same time, a combination sleeper will likely benefit from the extra space offered by a full bed mattress.
It is our hope that you have found the information in this article helpful. We invite you to explore all of your options as it relates to popular mattress sizes by also comparing the features and benefits of a standard twin mattress, a standard king bed, and queen size beds.
Best Twin XL Mattresses
After hundreds of hours of independent testing, we bring you the 10 best twin XL mattresses in 2021 and tips on how to choose the best mattress for you.
Can A Full-Size Mattress Fit Two Adults?
The full-size, or double bed, originated at a time when it was expected that two people would have plenty of room in a 39-inch bed. But now, can it fit both adults?
Full vs. Queen Size Mattress
Has the time come for you to buy a new mattress, but you’re not sure which size is best? We’ll review pros and cons of a full vs. queen size mattress to help you decide.