Zinus vs Lucid Mattress Comparison
Trying to find your next mattress without breaking the bank? Look no further—this Lucid vs Zinus mattress comparison puts the magnifying glass to four of each brand’s most popular bed-in-a-box mattresses.
Feb 16th, 2022 •
Zinus and Lucid are both value mattress brands that give competitors like Casper, Linenspa, and Tuft & Needle a run for their money. You can find their wide scope of mattress models online or from recognizable retailers like Amazon and Walmart.
In this mattress comparison, we take a closer look at eight different mattresses—four from each brand—with the goal of helping you find a mattress that exceeds your sleep needs.
Related: Best Zinus Mattresses on Amazon
Zinus vs Lucid Overview
|Best For||Couples, children and teens, side sleepers, back sleepers||Families, all sleeping positions, bunk beds and RVs, latex lovers|
|Special Features||Copper, charcoal, and green tea extract infusions||Moisture-wicking Tencel fabric, bamboo charcoal infused foam, and aloe vera infused foam|
- Zinus and Lucid are both value mattress brands, so you can expect quality mattresses for affordable prices that are lower than competitors.
- Both brands infuse their foams with charcoal and gel to keep their mattresses clean and cool.
- You can shop a variety of mattress styles from Lucid and Zinus, including innerspring-hybrid and memory foam mattresses.
- Zinus and Lucid have noticeably different trial periods. Zinus gives their customers a 100-night in-home sleep trial, while Lucid allows customers to return their mattress within 30 days of delivery.
- Lucid offers a slightly wider range of mattress profiles, compared with Zinus mattresses.
- Zinus and Lucid include unique different materials in their foams—Zinus adds green tea extract and copper for freshness, and Lucid adds aloe vera for temperature regulation.
Zinus Green Tea vs Lucid Plush Memory Foam
Zinus Green Tea Mattress Review Highlights
- The Zinus Green Tea mattress comes in four thicknesses—six inch, eight inch, 10 inch, and 12 inch. The six inch mattress has a medium firmness, and the 12 inch model feels medium-soft.
- The addition of green tea extract to the memory foam layers naturally reduces odors that can start to develop from sweat.
- We gave the Zinus Green Tea mattress a near perfect score for motion transfer, which means you aren’t likely to feel sleeping partners getting up or moving around.
Lucid Plush Memory Foam Mattress Review Highlights
- The Lucid Plush Memory Foam Mattress is a favorite among side sleepers for its extra soft, pressure-relieving memory foam top layer.
- You can choose an eight inch, 10 inch, 12 inch, or 14 inch mattress profile. Depending on the profile you choose, you’ll rest on a contouring one to four inch memory foam comfort layer.
- The top layer of foam is ventilated, which improves airflow and breathability. It’s also infused with gel that has a cooling effect over time.
Compare Mattress Construction
The Zinus Green Tea and Lucid Plush Gel Memory Foam mattresses share a softer feel that appeals to side sleepers. Both beds sport breathable mattress covers, though we love how the Lucid mattress cover is made with moisture-wicking Tencel fabric.
The top layers of foam are thicker on the Lucid mattress, so you can expect to sink a little deeper into the foam. It will also feel a bit cooler, thanks to the gel-infusion and breathable makeup of the foam.
You’ll probably notice that the Zinus Green Tea mattress feels bouncier than the Lucid mattress. Zinus uses an extra responsive comfort foam as their transition layer, whereas Lucid uses a stabilizing transitional foam. Both mattresses are supported by a high-density layer of support foam.
Note: Lucid sells a 2019 and 2020 version of their Plush Gel Memory Foam mattress. The only difference between the 2019 and 2020 versions is a lighter weight construction and the addition of bamboo charcoal in the base layer.
|Zinus Green Tea||Lucid Plush Memory Foam|
Zinus Cooling Gel iCoil Hybrid vs Lucid Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera
Zinus Cooling Gel iCoil Hybrid Review Highlights
- The Zinus Cooling Gel iCoil Hybrid mattress is one of the coolest mattresses in the Zinus collection. The top layer of Zinus memory foam resists absorbing your body heat, and the coil layer keeps air flowing through the mattress.
- Multiple layers of green tea memory foam keep both the 10 inch and 12 inch models smelling fresh.
- A foam encasement around the perimeter of the mattress improves edge support.
Lucid Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Mattress Review Highlights
- The infusion of bamboo charcoal into the memory foam helps to create a temperature neutral sleep environment.
- The individually wrapped steel coils improve motion isolation, which minimizes any disruptions that you would otherwise feel from sleeping partners.
- Both the 10 inch and 12 inch models are popular with side sleepers who want an extra thick top layer of foam.
Compare Mattress Construction
The most noticable difference in construction between these Zinus and Lucid models is the foam infusions. The Zinus mattress top layer is swirled with cooling gel, while the Lucid comfort layer features odor neutralizing charcoal and the transition layer is infused with calming aloe vera.
Both mattress models are topped with CertiPUR-US certified memory foam. They’re also anchored by transitional foam and wrapped steel coils. The Zinus model features high-density foam around the mattress edges, which makes it easier to lie near the edges of the mattress and get in and out of bed.
|Zinus Cooling Gel iCoil Hybrid||Lucid Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera|
Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud vs Lucid Latex Hybrid
Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud Review Highlights
- The Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud mattress is designed for—you guessed it—pressure relief. Two layers of memory foam and an extra layer of transitional comfort foam keep stress and tension off of pressure points, which alleviates muscle aches.
- This mattress also targets pressure on bones and joints, so it’s an attractive option for those with arthritis.
- This mattress is available in eight, 10, and 12 inch profiles. All three options have the same construction, but the eight and 10 inch will feel medium-soft and the 12 inch will feel luxuriously plush.
Lucid Latex Hybrid Mattress Review Highlights
- The Lucid Latex Hybrid mattress pairs gel-infused memory foam with latex up top. The memory foam moulds to your unique body type while the latex prevents you from sinking too far into the mattress.
- A base layer of steel coils move with your body, which drastically cuts down on motion transfer.
- You can shop a 10 inch and 12 inch Lucid Latex Hybrid mattress. Both have a medium-firm feel, but the 12 inch better supports those with heavier body types.
Compare Mattress Construction
The most obvious difference between these mattresses is the base layer. The Zinus is an all-foam mattress with a base layer of support foam, compared with steel coils at the base of the Lucid mattress. You’ll get better airflow and better durability with the Lucid Hybrid.
These differences also affect the mattress firmness. The Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud mattress ranges from medium-soft to plush, thanks to a quilted jacquard memory foam cover and memory foam comfort layer. The Lucid Latex Hybrid mattress is topped with gel-infused memory foam and latex, which is much firmer than memory foam.
The Zinus mattress also uses latex foam at the top of their mattress, though it doesn’t compare with the firm feel of the latex transition layer in Lucid’s mattress. It’s also worth noting that both mattresses may have a slight off-gassing odor, even though both contain latex materials.
|Zinus Pressure Relief Cloud||Lucid Latex Hybrid|
Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam vs Lucid Gel Memory Foam
Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam Review Highlights
- The Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam mattress is offered in eight, 10, 12, and 14 inch profiles, so you’ve got a lot of thickness options.
- The top layer of gel foam absorbs your body heat, which keeps the temperature under your sheets closer to neutral than too warm or cold.
- Layers of memory foam and comfort foam cushion your pressure points and—according to customers—feel pretty darn dreamy after a long day of work.
Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress Review Highlights
- You’ve got a lot of thickness options to choose from when it comes to the Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress: a five and six-inch firm mattress that’s great for kids, an eight-inch medium-firm mattress for teens, a medium and firm 10-inch mattress, and 12-inch and 14-inch medium-firm mattresses.
- All of the 2020 Gel Memory Foam mattress versions have a lighter weight construction and the inclusion of bamboo charcoal in the base foam.
- Medium and medium-firm mattresses suit the widest range of sleeping positions.
Compare Mattress Construction
You’re going to get a medium to firm mattress with either of these all-foam Zinus and Lucid models. The Lucid Gel Memory Foam mattress shares the construction of its plush sister model, except it has slightly firmer foam. Additionally, both mattresses utilize gel foam infusions.
The main difference is the construction of the base foam layers. The Zinus support foam is convoluted, which is a fancy way of saying that it has wavy ridges along the top of the foam that create channels for airflow. This lends to a cooler, more breathable sleep experience.
|Zinus Cooling Gel Memory Foam||Lucid Gel Memory Foam|
Compare Zinus vs Lucid Sizes
|Twin||39″ x 75″||39” x 75“|
|Twin XL||39″ x 80″||39” x 80”|
|Full||54″ x 75″||54” x 75”|
|Queen||60″ x 80″||60” x 80”|
|King||76″ x 80″||76” x 80”|
|California King||72″ x 84″||72” x 84”|
Learn more about mattress sizes.
Zinus and Lucid offer trial periods that enable customers to adjust to their new mattress and decide whether or not it’s a good fit. When you buy a mattress directly from Zinus, you get 100 nights to make up your mind, which is on par with competitors like Tuft & Needle. Lucid customers get 30 nights.
If you ultimately decide that it’s not the best mattress for you, reach out to the Zinus or Lucid customer service teams to initiate a return. You’ll get a full refund. Just make sure you keep your original receipt of purchase and initiate the return before the trial period ends.
Note: Sleep trial periods may be longer or shorter, depending on where you bought your mattress.
Zinus and Lucid both protect your mattress with a 10-year warranty that covers material or workmanship defects. These can include indentations and tears in the mattress cover. Defects that aren’t covered include those that result from misuse (i.e. stains, sinkage from an improper bed frame) or normal wear of the mattress.
If your mattress shows signs of a covered defect, you may be able to receive repairs or a whole new mattress. Zinus customers should apply for a warranty claim on the Zinus website. Lucid customers need to email firstname.lastname@example.org. In both cases, you have to be the original owner and have bought your bed directly from Zinus, Lucid, or one of their authorized retailers. Be prepared to show your original proof of purchase.
Verdict: Which Is the Best Mattress Brand?
Budget shoppers won’t be disappointed by either of these mattress brands, but Zinus shoppers will generally save a little more and enjoy a longer trial period. On the other hand, Lucid shoppers can choose from a wider range of mattress profiles, firmness levels, and options for kids and teens.
Ultimately, you decide which brand is best for your unique sleep needs. We favor Zinus for their 100-night trial period and large number of approved retailers. With that said, we recommend Lucid to those shopping for unique mattress thicknesses that fit in places like RV’s and bunk beds.
The Best Zinus Mattresses on Amazon
Zinus is known for being one of the best online mattress companies with the best prices. Check out our top Zinus mattress choices.
Tuft & Needle vs. Lucid Mattress
We’re taking a closer look at the Tuft & Needle and Lucid mattresses in this comparison. Both are bed-in-a-box foam beds with subtle, but key, differences.
Best Cheap Mattress for Your Budget
Find the perfect affordable and inexpensive mattress for your budget using this comprehensive guide. Shop mattresses all affordably priced around $700.